Situated 500 metres west of the top of the Bruce Road, Mount Ruapehu, our ski lodge is available for members and their guests, and approved groups.
The lodge can accommodate 32 people, in bunkrooms that sleep between 4 to 7 people. We have all the comforts of home; two lounges, hot showers, drying rooms, ski and board maintenance area, WiFi/Broadband Internet access and all the other refinements to make an enjoyable atmosphere. Most food is provided at the lodge. Those using it share food preparation and lodge housekeeping tasks.
Ski to the door if sufficient snow. Off with the boots, and inside to the warmth of après ski. In the morning a short warm up walk puts you back at the tow, ready to ride up the mountain. No parking or vehicle hassles here.
How to find our lodge
The lodge is a 15 minute walk from the Iwikau Shelter at the top of the Bruce Road. The track will be covered in snow and ice in winter and is steep and slippery in places. If walking to the lodge in the dark, make sure you have your torch handy.
Put your gear in one large waterproof pack and wear boots or solid shoes.
- Follow the Bruce Road past the Chateau and up to Iwikau Village near the start of the ski lifts.
- Overnight parking is allowed in specified areas only. See the Carparking section below for updated (2023) car parking rules!
- The track to the lodge starts about 60m down from the Recycling Centre, opposite Day Park 1.
- Cross the small gully next to the carpark to pick up a poled track heading diagonally upwards parallel to the road.
- Follow the steps up to the Serac Lodge on top of the ridge (they usually have a powerful light on when it is dark).
- Continue to the left of the Wellington Tramping and Mountaineering Club Lodge.
- A small sign (MTSC) marks the start of the poled track which leads you the rest of the way to the lodge.
- The poled track leads to the right of the Wellington Catholic Tramping Club (WCTC) Lodge, down steps to a small gully, then across a flat section to the Manawatū Lodge.
- If you are at all unsure of the route, or if the weather is bad (especially in poor visibility) then please phone the lodge before coming across.
- The lodge phone number is (07) 892-3860.
Note: These coordinates have not been verified – use them at your own risk!
Lat: 39degrees 14.258seconds S
Long: 175degrees 33.078seconds E
NZTM (Topo50 maps): 1820195 E 5653750 N
Overnight carparking is signposted (“Club Parking”) in Carpark 2, located on the left of the road about 80m before reaching the drop-off area and barrier arm. Parking on the right-hand side of the road is permitted, but take care to park on the flat area (and to not go into the gully beyond) and ensure that your car is entirely off the road; snow ploughs regularly clear the road in Winter!
Members with an account are able to book the lodge.
What to bring
Recommended gear and packing list for visits to the ski lodge.
Rates include breakfast and dinner. Select the age as at 1 June.
Adult (member), from $50 per night
12 – 18 (youth, member), from $40 per night
5 – 11 (child, member), from $32 per night
0 – 4 (pre-school, member), from $0 per night
Adult (guest), from $75 per night
12 – 18 (youth, guest), from $60 per night
5 – 11 (child, guest), from $52 per night
0 – 4 (pre-school, guest), from $0 per night
Group rates on application.